Friday, March 6, 2009

God Cares

I realize that I've had way too many posts this week that talk about bodily functions but I feel I must expand (no pun intended) on an item from my Thankful Thursday list. Now I realize this might not go over well with some because it might look like I'm being sarcastic or belittling God's efforts but I can assure you I am not.

I am currently in a friendly competition with some of my co-workers. We are down to the last week and the results of my body are not very impressive to me. I've been working out harder than ever before and need all the gym time I can get. Mostly because I'm not good at starving myself. Unfortunately something in my diet is not agreeing with me and for several weeks I have been having a bit of intestinal discomfort. Okay, a LOT of intestinal discomfort. I decided to take the Activia challenge and see if I can get things regulated.

So yesterday I'm in the gym. My sciatic nerve is raging and I'm trying my best to get through some treadmill time. I certainly didn't need the added discomfort of...well...flatulence. So there I am. On the treadmill. Whining in my head that I probably won't make it to 15 minutes at this rate because of that screaming nerve and because I'm clenching so hard to ensure I do not spread my discomfort to my co-gymmers. So it really got me thinking. Is there a gym etiquette on that? I mean here we are working every muscle in our body with gusto and well, I can't believe that another person has not had to struggle with...hmmm...well, escapage (that's my word for the dirty slip--deal).

More than anything I just wanted to reach my goal for the day. 20 minutes. Seriously, I was that sore. And then the danged air bubble decides to float downward and I'm squeezing the glutes so hard. Then I remembered a post I left on Gitz's site on Wednesday. Where I said God tackles ALL problems. So I started talking to God. I begged and pleaded with Him to calm things down. I told Him if there was a lesson to learn in this that I'd like to opt out. I started asking Him if maybe I could take this "class" next semester (like when I'm 80 and can get away with it because I probably wouldn't even hear it myself). Then I started asking Him why He created us this way. I mean He COULD have created us to expell sweet fragrant air to where we might receive an "Atta-girl!" for freshening up the air. But no. That isn't the case. Anyway, I continued to please a few more moments and within those panicked minutes things subsided and believe it or not I was not plagued again for the rest of my work out! And not only that but I endured one whole hour! (Which might have been because I ended up with a guy on each side running their manly hearts out and I was not about to give up like a little girl.--but I will neither confirm or deny that.) :)

3 comments:

Hoofer said...

Hi, I saw your comment on Pioneer Woman about Children's socks. I have a 10 year old with sensory issues, and just discovered Tic Tac Toe brand seemless socks. What a life saver! Maybe they would work for you.

Casey said...

I agree that sometimes those prayers can be just as important...and that we can be just as thankful when God answers them!

(And thanks for the sweet comment today. I really appreciate it!)

Just A Girl said...

Oh my word. Don't you know God laughs at us like when we laugh every time our kids say something really funny. Maybe this is where the "He will take great delight in you" verse comes from! I think your gym episode is just another reminder that only in our weaknesses is God glorified. Too dang funny!