Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas In Review - Part 1 (and 2)

I have a big family and we all live relatively close. As in most of us in the same state. So does "the law". So we have multiple Christmases. I love it. My family was supposed to get together last Saturday but we had the biggest snowstorm we've seen in years so not everyone was able to make it--those that live in England and those that could not walk to my house that is.

My big sis made the decision to come in a night earlier. She and her family ended up driving in snow anyway but got to my house safely just in time for everyone to tuck themselves neatly into bed. On Saturday we began cooking because my little brother and his family, at that point, were still coming so there were mouths to feed. Half hour before dinner was to begin he called to say the snow was just too bad. We totally understood. He's the father of a precious little girl and babies A and B. No way we want him risking any lives.

We had a meal prepared so we went ahead with a partial opening of gifts and then sprawled out on couches to chat and rest. It was a good day.

Sunday little bro and his family came over as well as my niece and her hubby. More feasting and present opening ensued and my energetic nieces and my brothers shuffled the kids outside for a girls against boys snowball fight. Ah. THAT was a very nice thing to do.

We cooked a lot, ate a lot and visited a lot. The thing that sticks out most is that I had a very nice relaxed visit with my big sister and her family. It seems that most times when I see her it's in a rush. This was the first time in many years when one of us hasn't been rushing off to get some place else by a certain time.

Maybe that is what a good snowstorm is for. One of those events God created to force us to slow down. Oh, I'm sure there were others that were inconvenienced by the snow event. We certainly had to alter our plans. But the benefits, in my opinion, far outweighed trouble.

2 comments:

Just A Girl said...

Sounds like a wonderful WHITE Christmas! I can't even imagine it. We are still swimming in the swamp down here. I'm going to have gills pretty soon. AND I'm nauseated. Aren't you glad I shared? ; >

ISO (In search of) said...

@Jennifer. VERY! Especially since I've been so lame at keeping up with my postings. I am so ridiculously happy for you and Jade and your kids. I can't wait to see pictures of the new Stanford! This has got to be so exciting for you!