Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Long Short Road


I am no longer allowed to chew gum. Yep, the dental hygienist said yesterday I'm killing my teeth and jaws. I kind of think it will be worse if I don't chew. There will be nothing between my teeth and the grind. Oh well. I have to suck it up and be a good sport. Why?

Because this little guy...

This sweet lil boy...
has been told he has to give up his thumb. Yesterday. And he's doing it!

He's a man boy of great logic. I didn't argue with him, brow-beat him or bribe him. I didn't even lecture him. In fact he saw past his sorrow with enough compassion to tell ME he was sorry that I had to give up gum. He asked me WHY it was again he had to give up his thumb and I calmly explained that it would push his teeth in a position that wasn't natural. He then came up with a few different things he could try instead of sucking his thumb. Thank God for Blanky and Pooh. Thank God for the logical future pilot.

Today's lesson. Never underestimate the mind of a child.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the first step out of childhood and into adulthood! Giving up something you love - ouch! For me, it was a Miss Piggy doll I had. She was my 'woobie'. Good luck to you both ...