Friday, July 17, 2009

If The Shoe Fits

I dressed up for work today. I rarely do anymore. I've been between sizes for far too long and I refuse to buy anything new until I am where I want to be. But I dressed up for work today because I found something that actually fits now. A nice brown skirt. A nice fitted beige blouse. I knew the shoes were all wrong. I just knew it.

I put the shoes on. The only brown shoes I own. Sandals that would have been more fitting for a peasant skirt of the 70's. Clunky and not a bit fitting for a just below the knee length A-line skirt. But I wore them and that should have been my first indication that they were trouble.

Nobody laughed at me.
Nobody stared at my feet.
The shoes were quiet and so was I.

Until I decided to animatedly tell a story. One where I motioned a swift kick to someone's backside. And that's when it happened.

That.
Is.
When.

The shoe FLEW through the air and. Over the wall of our shared office space. Right on the desk of a worker I have never met!!!

Mortified I gripped my face. Afraid to peer over the wall. Mortified that three of my coworkers knew of nothing but that a flying shoe was hurdling through the air.

By.
The.
Grace.
Of.
God.

No one was on the other side of the wall. A workspace that is typically laden with workers was completely empty!

Thank you God!

Oh and thank you lovely co-worker who saved me from the embarrassment of limping around the corner and down the aisle, minus a shoe, to retrieve my offending footwear.

Shoes. Bad bad shoes.

2 comments:

Alex said...

So deep in concentration they would haven't probably been had they not been absent, I doubt they would have noticed.

Just A Girl said...

ROTFL! Too dang funny. I suffer from shoe deficit disorder as well. I can mix styles with the best of them.