Friday, July 3, 2009

Tell Them Noah

If you are familiar with the bible and the story of Noah you will recall God told him to build an ark. God also told Noah to let the people know that great floods were coming.

A lot of stuff is happening in the political world and my mom insists on keeping me informed. I don't like to think of myself as a stork with it's head in the sand but I do tend to want to be in the land of "LaLa" when it comes to listening to anything that has to do with politics.

I'm not sure why this is. I am the middle girl with an older sister and older brother and a younger sister and a younger brother. Smack dab. That's me. I've given this some thought and I think I'm in this land alone. Family functions turn to crowds around the table discussing politics. Me? I find this the perfect time to exit stage right. I have sand up my nose and in my eyes and I'm probably crunching on quite a bit too.

As my mom was trying to explain the energy bill and what it will do to us again today I was trying to spit out the sand and understand what she was trying to tell me. I just wasn't getting it. She just told me to pray that this thing doesn't get passed because it will NOT be a good thing. That little people will not survive it's toll.

These types of conversations are becoming more frequent and I'm not sure what to do exactly. To my brain they are like complicated calculus equations and I just can't figure them all out. I thought of Noah and how he kept trying to warn people that there WAS going to be water and LOTS of it and that not only were heads gonna roll but they were gonna roll right under the strongest current ever imagined. People were gonna die! But the people thought this was absurd and kept on livin' like they were and doin' what they wanted and eventually Noah lost all the neighbors he'd ever known and more.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't wanna drown and as much as I wanna just turn my head and say, "Bladdy blah dee blah, whatever." I can't. Can someone please explain this whole thing to me in terms I might be able to understand? Pardon me while I go swap the sand from my ears so I can hear what you have to say.

2 comments:

Debbiy said...

Here's my simple take on it.

Recently our VP said that the administration underestimated the economic situation in the country.

The problem with the energy bill is simply this - it is backed by the same folks who underestimated 8%+ unemployment, massive bank failures (but 1.5 million dollar retention bonuses - yes, that would be Freddie Mac), and generally failing global markets.

So take a deep breath and stick your head in the sand. I'll be there with you in a minute.

Just A Girl said...

I'm totally with you. Everyone says, "Hey, call your senator!" Except that it seems like unless your senator is on the majority side of things, you may as well be talking to a tree. I feel overwhelmed by many things, including the child protection acts that the U.N. is trying to push through - very dangerous stuff for parents. Let me know what you find out.