Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Freddy Comes Over

My daughter came home from school Friday with a friend. Unbeknownst to me this friend would be staying with us. We were heading to Hershey for the weekend. I wondered if he knew. I have a feeling his "mom" knew.

You see, Freddy is the class bear. He goes home with a child each weekend based on good behavior. So Freddy came home with my favorite little girl in the world.

My daughter did a good job of taking care of him. She buckled him in snug when we rode in the car--without being asked.
She changed his clothes when he needed a new outfit.
She also was very good at keeping his journal so she could share his adventures with her classmates once back at school.
Including Freddy in our weekend excursion really was like having another child around. As a parent I worried about him being eaten by alligators...
and wondered if he felt lonely when he saw his cousins.
I also hoped he wouldn't get too close to the edge of the bridge when we crossed over the water.
Just like one of my own I worried about him making a wrong decision to take that last leap over the fence to his doom in a pen of wild animals.
Lucky for me Freddy isn't fond of pools so I didn't have to worry much about him getting in over his head. I had all I could handle keeping an eye on the future pilot and his sister.
Ah but Freddy also didn't eat very much and never asked for hot chocolate so I didn't have to worry about him burning his delicate tongue like I worried about the future pilot...
or eating too much chocolate here.
Freddy did get a bit tuckered out at the end but he was such a quiet little soul. He just sort of hung out with some new friends he made while at the park.
We made it home safe and sound on Sunday afternoon. I was so relieved. All weekend I was very afraid of losing the class bear. After all, what would all the kids think if "I" made it impossible for them to take Freddy on any adventures with them?

Freddy enjoyed one last night with us. Nestled between the other various creatures that share my daughter's bed. (He's hiding a bit over on the left)
We miss you Freddy.

1 comment:

lilsis said...

I think you should share YOUR journal with the teacher, as well. She'd be tickled to hear about Freddy's travels from a parent.