Thursday, October 16, 2008

If Only I'd Home Schooled...

The day starts early around here. The nights are usually late. Last night was later than usual. At bedtime, when I was relishing in the fact that I would soon be purring in my sleep, nestled down under the covers, with my head resting on a nice soft pillow; my daughter asks me a very serious question. "Mom, AREN'T you going to make cupcakes for my class? My BIRTHDAY cupcakes?"

Shock, horror, and regret came over me. You see my oldest NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER wanted me to make cupcakes, or cake, or any kind of announcement to his class. Even when the mother of a girl in his class called me to see if I'd like to split the cupcake number with her because our kids shared the same birthday. He flat out refused to have attention drawn to him in that way.

My girl turns seven tomorrow. She is all about attention and hosting her friends. So at bed time I was baking cupcakes.
Cupcakes that would need to be frosted before I head to work today. So, if the day didn't already start early enough. This day when the outside air was still somewhat crisp. When the outside world was just a reflection of the inside...
When the outside looked like this...I was doing this...
Oh if only I'd home schooled. The class would be smaller. If I'd home schooled a birthday celebration--that has been planned and in the making for days, one for which a gargantuan cake is already sitting in my refrigerator, a party like that would have been sufficient.

I still have to get through a day of work and endure a session of boot camp. Oh but I do hope I will be ready for that.

2 comments:

Just A Girl said...

Yes, no one says it, but this is probably the number one reason for homeschooling. It's not the religious aspect...it's the doggone birthday parties!!! No telling how much money we save not having to go to sixteen of these a year. Hang in there. They look scrumptious!

ISO (In search of) said...

I totally don't believe that is why folks home school. NOT AT ALL. I do think this would be one of the perks though. I don't think I'd have the patience. My daughter and I butt heads when it comes to homework. She's proving to be like my oldest. Do NOT MAKE her read or she just won't want to. It has to be on her own or not at all. Major battle. (Really bad too because she's supposed to be reading 75 minutes a week!!!)