Thursday, October 2, 2008

Wallowing Deep

I joined a fitness boot camp through the gym at work. I've known for quite some time that I've needed to do something with the "temple" I was made caretaker of. Five years ago I lost a total of 38 pounds on Weight Watchers. Somewhere between there and the birth of my third child in '05 I gained it all back, and according to the scale today, more.

Yesterday the boot camp "officials" did an initial assessment of measurements and I was made to perform crunches and push-ups. I couldn't do nearly as many crunches as I thought I'd be able to. I could not do one single push-up. Not one. Not even a sissy push-up. It really bothered me.

I don't know why it bothered me but it did. I've never in my life been able to do a push-up of any kind. I'm 40 now and everything just seems harder. I've hit that point where I need to get serious about taking care of myself. I was so depressed on the way home that I was calling people to get sympathy. As God would have it no one was answering. By the time I did get through to one of my friends it had become comical. She reminded me that the reason I joined this camp was to GET fit. I intend to do that too.

Don't get me wrong I'm not looking for a supermodel figure. I'm a mom and I don't believe I have to look like a hot little number to feel good about myself. I do believe that I need to be able to breathe and talk at the same time while upping and downing the stairs. I also believe that if my child runs away from me I should be able to catch him (or her)! So, Sunday I began Weight Watchers again and I joined a gym. Oh and I plan to go!

I don't intend to make this blog my weight loss journal but I do intend to figure out how to do a counter over at the side so I have some accountability. I'm not entering a starting weight. That would be very embarrassing. I do plan to have a goal loss and I might even challenge myself with said number of push-ups--the sissy kind because come on I'm not a lunatic! --and no wearing two socks of different colors does NOT mean you are one minute shy of the nut house. Yet.

So, if anyone knows of any free little gadgetry that will allow me to enter my starting goal of pounds loss and where I am each week please let me know. My friend has given me a secret of how to practice my push-ups a little less intensely so I AM going to try them every night. Oh I do hope my walls are forgiving.

Oh and lastly, I'm begging for encouragement. Feel free to send me comments. In my mind I have a long way to go but it's reasonable and it is definitely reachable.

2 comments:

Just A Girl said...

I am about to be 40. My body has completely given in to gravity in the last six months. I now have granny arms and an innertube. Very disheartening. I am not taking this well. My husband is seven years younger than I am, which makes it even harder to bear. I admire you for getting out there and fighting the flab. You go, girl! Inspire me!!!

ISO (In search of) said...

Come on now. I saw the pictures on your blog. Woman you look awesome! One thing I have realized though is that it's the ones who realize after just a few pounds gain that they need to do something that get it done quick. I wish I'd remember that more often. :)