Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Star is Born

On October 7th a very beautiful person took her last breath here on earth. She hung on for several days in a state of sleep where I understand her heart fluttered when her husband was visiting. She and her husband were responsible for my parents meeting. Without them I would not be here writing this.

We called her Aunt Elli and for a long time I was sure we were related. As it turns out she and my mom were just really really good bosomy friends. They met at nursing school and graduated together. Their husbands were friends so naturally our families spent a lot of time together. She watched us grow and was one in a village of many that nurtured us as we grew into mostly responsible adults.

She had so many good qualities. She was patient. She was giving. She was very funny. My favorite line from her was "don't be ignorant". I don't know why that sticks out but she used it like another would use "don't be silly". She could make a really good tuna sandwich. It just always tasted better when she made it. At holiday functions she would bring a chocolate cake with a chocolate pudding and whipped cream icing. I'm not a cake person but I would eat it just to have that delicious topping. It got so she'd bring it in a throw away container so she could leave it behind for me and my little sister. She also gave to my children. Watson, a stuffed dog, has been my daughter's buddy since she received him almost four years ago.

When I had my first child, as a single parent, she did not judge. She made it a point to ask me how I was doing and was always there to encourage me with uplifting and positive thoughts. You might say she just always made everyone she touched feel more special somehow. The hour she slipped into a coma I felt it. I was many miles away but she came to me in thought and I started to cry. It was just moments after that I received the call from my mom that she had taken that turn for the worst.

Always a twinkle in her eye, she now resides in heaven. I know as I watch the clear evening skies I will remember her. A star born, twinkling down. A loving soul ne'er forgotten.

2 comments:

Debbiy said...

I can still hear her laugh! And the way she made me laugh. She was always laughing about something...

She loved clothes shopping and we lived in the ones they'd outgrown, do you remember? The fact that I was taller than any of her kids and some of those clothes fit ANYWAY was always a little mysterious - like finding tags on them.

Love you sis.

ISO (In search of) said...

Yea, they did seem to fit extremely well. The clothes always seemed to make it feel like Christmas or a really relaxing shopping trip because you didn't have to leave home.