Tuesday, December 23, 2008

3 Days In A Nutshell

Saturday was not a day I wish to repeat anytime soon. I'm not sure what got into my youngest two but I was ready to turn in my motherhood hat. A fairly quick trip to Walmart was a breeze but things took a turn for the worst when we stopped for lunch. In short the future pilot--who went in hungry came out hungry. Why? Because I had to speak to him about his behavior. And honest. I just spoke. Calmly. He decided to go in to shutdown mode--and yes we've been down this road before. We left with a full plate of mac and cheese and half a cheese pizza. The pizza bit the dust soon after we got outside. My favorite little girl in the world was trying to hold onto it while I had a talk with the future pilot--who had decided he wanted to make up and a)cry his eyes out and b)to be held, and she tripped and even though she caught herself the pizza went flying.

The grocery store was next and they both acted like a couple of nuts. They weren't being bad really but just very silly and it was over the top because it was messing up my concentration--mostly because I got conned into one of those carts they can both sit in and well the steering is just not that great, so steering and shopping and thinking were too much for my brain.

By the time I got home I was ready to put them in boxes and ship them to another city. My favorite first born had begun working on some tasks I'd asked for help on while I was gone. He was ready for something else to do when I walked in. So, he organized and weeded out my plastics. Tell me, am I the only one who has whipped topping containers that seem to multiply like bunnies?

That kid is a wonder. He spent most of the afternoon moving Christmas boxes downstairs, folding towels, sorting plastics. Pretty much anything I asked for. I started on the vacuuming and paper sorting--another thing that mulitplies like bunnies.

Sunday the ice came and glazed over everything. I'm a chicken when it comes to ice so I skipped church. I like it when the trees are covered with ice and sun beams down on them. Of course I was too lazy to venture real far out on the deck because I was already cold.
My favorite little girl in the world was spending the night at my mom's house so it gave me some time with just the future pilot. I wrapped some presents and he helped me put just a few under the tree.

This was RC's favorite napping spot last year too. I think he was a disco cat in his formal life. I think being that close to hundreds of blinking lights would be anything but calming if I was trying to sleep.
The future pilot soon found a cockpit and entertained himself for quite some time. I was a bit concerned he might fall off the couch in his "Sopwith Camel", but he was having such a good time I took the risk.
Later that evening when my favorite little girl in the world came home I whisked her away for dinner and to pick out something for her brothers for Christmas. The future pilot pitched a fit but after Saturday's ordeal I was not ready to pull that gig again. So he stayed home with Daddy.

Sunday evening, as I was putting my favorite little girl in the world to bed, and the future pilot was standing behind me telling me to stand still stand still. I didn't have a clue as to why until I felt a bee sting in my backside.

Apparently he was trying to attach this to me...
and apparently he didn't have the concept that there might be a sort of "procedure" behind it to make sure you didn't stick someone in their hind parts thus making them screech in pain.

Monday I worked and worked out. Ya-ay me.

My favorite first born woke up at 430 this morning to take out the trash thinking I'd be getting ready to go to work. He figured he'd have less of a chance of waking anyone up. Of course our attack dog Dora...
barks to high heaven whenever he approaches.

I didn't mind. Everyone else went back to bed but my oldest and I stayed up. He kept me company while I tackled the play room.

I got everything sorted through and then I went to work with some really talented first graders as they made gingerbread houses. Well graham cracker houses might be more factual. Shouldn't everyone have one of these on display in their home?
Then lunch with my husband and the future pilot. After that it was home to tackle my favorite little girl in the world's room.
This is where I was at about 7pm...
Trust me, it was much worse. Much more "stuff" was over here...
And if you recall this area needs to be clean because this...
is going here...
(I hate to paint so I'm hoping it covers the wall marks.)

Of course while I was cleaning it had begun to snow. Now normally snow at Christmas excites me. But. Well. Um. THIS...
kind of snow NEVER excites me. What is it about styrofoam that screams to children, "SHRED ME, SHRED ME NOW!!!!"

So, I quickly restored order...
But something tells me that things will go awry again in the very near future...
I took a quick break and made dinner. The gingerbread latte I had a few hours earlier finally kicked in I guess because I went into to overdrive and got the room finished.
(and no it wasn't the ole cram in it the closet move. Mostly because the closet has been turned into a Christmas wonder.)
I have to afix a mirror to the vanity yet but all of the wrapping is done. I don't mind whirlwind days like this. I tend to eat less and like the feeling of accomplishment at day's end. It will also leave tomorrow free to bake cookies for Santa with the kids and attend Christmas Eve service. Ya-ay!

No comments: