Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Settling in for a long winters nap

I am fairly certain I made my last Christmas shopping trip to the mall today. I mean I had one gift card to buy and a few little things for my oldest. Oh and I was under strict orders from the future pilot that the Transformer shoes I bought him last night MUST be returned because the other day at Wal-mart I was going to buy him Batman shoes but they didn't have his size. I promised we'd find him Batman shoes somewhere. So, I got blessed and found the shoes at Sears. Woohoo. Holy smokes, Batman! What a deal!

My other great find of the day was this...
To understand how simply perfect it was here's a bit of history. Every year, since I first found out I was pregnant with my oldest, I have bought my kids a new ornament each year. They are supposed to get them before the tree goes up so they can hang it when the tree goes up. I was late this year. My plan is that when they move on (sniff oh this hurts the heart to even imagine) to have their own tree they will have a good number of ornaments to carry on with hopefully a memory jogger or two or 18.

I usually have a theme. My oldest has a rocking horse ornament for every year of his life except when he got in his late teens and I moved to whatever he was into. One year it was a tiger carousel figure, the last two years it was a pink flamingo. This year his was the last ornament for me to find. How perfect that he absolutely LOVES the Eagles.

My first find was this one while I was perusing Amazon.com. This little gem (came in a pair actually) for the future pilot.
It's perfect that it came in a pack of two because though it said "shatterproof" I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean indestructible where the future pilot is concerned.

My daughter got this one. For obvious reasons. I mean she's seven and isn't EVERY seven year old into Hannah Montana?
So while every year the ornament has matched the child they have never been of the same material type. Kinda cool that they were all this hollow frosted glass.

Even cooler that the place I bought my favorite first born's ornament put his last name on the back--just like on a real jersey. He was blown away--but well, even if he wasn't I think he'd act like he was. He's just that kind of guy.

Now all that's left is wrapping I think. I'm trying to reduce the stress level this year and I'm hoping I have convinced my husband that we are NOT exchanging gifts. Every year he goes way overboard and makes my gifts to him look insignificant. It hurts. However, I still worry in the back of my mind he will buy anyway and I'll still end up looking like I didn't care. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Maybe Santa can do a rush job on delivery.

2 comments:

Just A Girl said...

Cute ornaments! You are so sweet to your kids. That's lovely to see.

Gitz 'n Jo said...

That is so sweet... we didn't have our own growing up and it would have been handy to have as it took me awhile to build some up for my tree.

Your kids are going to love the memories behind these for many years to come...