Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Blog tidbit and end of a year

Ever notice how everything seems to taste better by candle light? My friend made this beautiful arrangement for me. She's so talented. We are always at my in-laws for Christmas dinner so we never seem to light our Christmas centerpiece. She makes me one every year. I'm tired of never getting to use it. This year I decided to feed the kids by candle light a few days after Christmas and they actually ate better. This could be a trend.

This was the temperature in my neck of the woods on Sunday. Simply gorgeous day.
----------------

In just a few more hours 2008 will be a sleepy memory. Oh but what a year it was.

2008 was the year my husband almost died from a very bad case of pneumonia. Standing in the cold investigating a homicide while recovering from the flu will make stuff like that reality.
God was gracious and blinded me to that whole death thing. I visited him in the hospital every day for 13 days, kept going to work, managed the house and kids (with much help from my mom), and rearranged every room on the upstairs floor of our home. It wasn't until 10 days in when they opened him up to scrape his lung and insert a drainage tube, and he squeezed my hand and would not let go, that I realized things were bad. I say thank you to God for shielding me from what could have been a time of worry and fear and pity. I thank Him even more for healing my husband.

2008 was the year my favorite first born son came back home. I was missing and worrying about that one. Now most nights I know he's home safe. He is also building a special bond with his siblings that he is taking great delight in.

This year, 2008, was also when I began a journey back to school. I'm still uncertain where that will lead me but I'm willing to take baby steps back to get an educated mind--did I just say that?

Its the year my last baby was finally potty trained and I realized the baby years are really over for me--until God blesses me with grandchildren--no hurry there.

I've got a good life. It's my life and it's unique and if I spend more time cultivating my relationships, being hospitable, and less time wondering how to BE like someone else I'll enjoy it a whole lot more.

It's in the ending of this year that I have reflected on all of the "stuff" I've held onto. Inside myself and around my home. It's time to purge the unnecessary and get to the heart of what is really important. Time to detox my house so I'm not spending all of my time picking up and putting away. Time to declutter.

Oh its also the year I started a blog and started meeting bloggy buddies--which has been awesome by the way.

Happy New Year to everyone. May it be blessed and joyous for you and your's.

2 comments:

Just A Girl said...

My goodness! I had no idea about your husband. You do have reason to be thankful. I also didn't realize he investigated homicides for a living. Yikes! You are a brave woman. You haven't figured out how to get him to like accounting yet? I'm so glad you're my blogging buddy. All good things this year.

Gitz 'n Jo said...

That is not a boring year by any stretch of the imagination. I'm excited about what 2009 holds for you and am happy to be along for the ride :)