Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bartley, Goodbye


Today would have been my grandfather's 94th birthday. He died almost two years ago. He stayed with my parents for the last two years of his life. His burial plot was in his hometown not theirs. Don't think I didn't panic just a tad that the plane wouldn't get him but that's another story.

The funeral came and went as we said our goodbyes to those who had tried their best to be nice and caring to a man that tended to be a bit on the grumpy side. After that we said goodbye to the sleepy little town that I don't see myself visiting again. We'd spent time there as kids. Not so much as we grew up and had families of our own. Taking off to travel by car, even by air you have to drive several hours to get there, would be cumbersome. Now that he is gone there is no reason to go back.

Times here were spent ridding my grandparents' lawn of dandelions. One dollar a bucket--and we couldn't be sneaky and try to "fluff them up" to get the bucket fuller faster. Grandpa was smart. He used his big hand and pressed them down so you could pick a few more.
My sister and I vied for the one extra fishing pole by being the first to catch the bait. Seething green grasshoppers with their tar encrusted drool. Carp and crappies were the catch. Thank God they never made me clean them. My little brother ended up with the fishing gene. He even went fishing nearby before heading home. What is funny about this picture is that is not his dog. He preferred my brother to the one he came with.
When we were younger the town had an IGA. We were able to get some snacks there , as Grandpa only believed in two meals a day. Breakfast and supper.
There was a Teeter's drugstore for a while. Then run by Ruthie Teeter. We were distant relatives of her's in some sort of way and we loved her. She always welcomed us in and asked us how we were and what we were doing "these days". She had some neat things to buy. It also kept us occupied and out of trouble.

There was a library on one side. I think it's still there but was not open when we were in town. Somewhere in there was a Mexican cafe but we never went in. Grandpa didn't believe in eating out and we usually only had pocket change.
We spent a lot of time in the park. It was a block wide and a block long.
Sometimes we attended church here with Grandma.
I was told by my dad that he attended school here for a while...
I think Bartley is the smallest town I've ever been in for any length of time. We had some really good times there. I'm glad I have some pictures to remember them by.

1 comment:

lilsis said...

Ummm, playground picture??? I want to be a star, but only if I look cute.