Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Space Invaders

So today started out pretty good. I went to work and afterwards picked up Brownie gear for my daughter and then went home. Tonight we were taking the kids to the fair. Just a good night out with the kids and my husband. Nice normal stuff.

Well, have you ever run into someone you that you haven't thought about in some time? Someone that you have not allowed to invade your mind in years? And then suddenly the evening that was so perfectly normal turns into a not so normal night. That is what happened to me. There we were watching the events and having a grand time and this little girl pops up and of course you want to see who the parents are and then you see them. That beautiful little girl belongs to them and she's not the baby she was when you last saw her.

We had been friends for years but for almost six now we haven't been. But because you run into this person, that should no longer come into play, suddenly your life doesn't seem normal. You are too fat, your hair is overly frizzy and out of order, your clothes are frumpy, and you are checking your kids over to see if they are slicked down and shining bright. Or at least that was how I reacted. I don't even know if they noticed me and my family. I just knew that I was torn. Did I want them to notice me? Didn't they look charming and perfect? More perfect than me. And suddenly just because you saw them your night was consumed not by flashing carnival lights or the smells of farm animals but instead of them.

I regret that I let moments like this get to me like they do. The fact that I just allow myself to dwell on them like I do. I'm sure there must be some sort of therapy for me. Something that will remind me that my family is perfectly wonderfully normal for me. It's just that right now...well I just wish they hadn't invaded the evening.

Am I the only one this happens to?

1 comment:

lilsis said...

Hugs on this one! Some people have no business going to the local county fair.