Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Hit! Finally!!!

My local grocer has started selling pizza dough. In the deli section. It's great. You can get pizza dough that you don't have to thaw now. Last night I made pizza but tonight I got creative and made a Stromboli like thing. The fact that I cooked at all this week is big because usually when my husband is on evening shift I am the short order cook for the kids. I don't cook stuff because they don't "require" it. By that I mean they don't really eat anything I cook. They are macaroni and cheese-cheese sandwich-hamburger types.

After tonight I've decided the less ingredients the recipe calls for the better they like it. Now I didn't think to take start to finish pictures because honestly I was making it up as I went along. I browned some ground beef, drained it and threw in some chopped onions.
Then I threw in some of this. Now I actually bought this for grilling burgers but I have to admit when I opened the lid the first time I didn't quite care for the smell. Eh, I'm test cooking tonight so let's try it. So I shook this in. I stirred and tasted and well, hey I liked it. So I threw in some more. It's got a bit of salt, some red bell pepper and some garlic. It says spices too but how generic is that? Anyway, it added a good flavor.
Then I rolled out the dough into a rectangle and sprinkled some of the meat in and then threw on some shredded mozzarella and then topped that with some sliced turkey pepperoni. After that I overlapped the edges and did some nipping and tucking. As a finishing touch I brushed it with some olive oil and sprinkled it with Parmesan cheese. I baked it at 450 for 20 minutes. Here's what it looked like after my oldest son, me and my daughter got a hold of it. Yes, amazingly enough my daughter even liked it. The future pilot? Well...
He likes his recipes a little slimmed down. Tonight? He discovered he LOVES flour. His words not mine. I think he got his taste buds from his dad's side of the family. Juuuuust kidding honey.
I won't knock it. He likes to do dishes. No matter how hard it is to reach the sink.
He LOVES to wash any and everything. My servant in training. My mom calls him a neat nik. He translates that to nick-knack.
Ah. I shall treasure this (and blackmail him when he's a bit older).But the blueberry muffins? The one I made from over at PW's post? My daughter says they taste like a junkyard. :( I swear, I followed the recipe to a T. Well, I didn't make the sauce but they are good. Just ask my parents. Oh and my first born son.
Oh and me. I mean "I" count don't I?
But back to my daughter. "They taste like a junkyard? Just how do she know that? I probably don't want to know. So we'll leave it at that.

1 comment:

lilsis said...

I TOLD you less was more with kids. LOL! Yeah, that's exactly why my meals are always "multi-ingredient free" and I'd rather eat at your house. Or, used to. Don't let your kids ruin your cooking like mine ruined mine.