Sunday, January 4, 2009

Purging: Part I

One of the things I committed to last Fall is getting organized. I'm not there yet. I get side tracked. A lot. I've been thinking about some of the things I know I've been holding on to for a very long time and really shouldn't be.

I watched this "Clean House" episode yesterday and was appalled by a super messy house they aired. One of the things they told the owner who simply could not find it in her heart to part with ANYTHING was, "Hang onto the memories, not the materials." That is something I really need to take heart in. My grandmother died of Alzheimers but that is no excuse to think I need to hang onto "things" for fear if I don't have anything to jog the ole memory I won't remember things. If I don't remember, looking at things is NOT going to bring back the memory.

So begins part one of purging. I thought I had just one tote box in the basement marked "Mementos". Imagine my surprise when I found two.
True to my word I grabbed a box and headed upstairs. I obviously picked the wrong box because I'm not even all the way through and so far I'm having a problem parting with things.

An "X" rated anniversary card from my hubby...
With this risque message inside...(and his signature XO on the bottom--he had me from XO)
Two count them TWO autograph books from circa 1982-83. (That would be 8th and 9th grade for me) I thought, "Surely I can throw these out." Then I turned to THIS page and this signature belongs to a news anchor. I rationalized that she's famous therefore I must keep it. I need therapy don't I?
Then there were these...
from my first TDY. I'd never been TDY before. Never left my great state alone until this time. This trip I hit two states for work back to back. The first state we were in for a short time and both evenings were spent exploring with my coworker since the town was small and nothing was within walking distance. Then we hit San Antonio and I was left to my own devices. I was prepared to stay holed up in my room forever. We got back to the hotel at 4pm. Work was over for the day and the first thing I did was call home. I got all choked up when I talked to my husband and sat on my bed for an hour. AN HOUR! Finally I got mad at myself and decided I needed to leave the room.

We stayed on the Riverwalk so a ton of stuff was within walking distance! I was very pregnant with my favorite little girl in the world and it was very hot (August). I was greatly surprised when I found a candy store inside the very cool mall. You see I was hooked on Sour Patch kids and practically lived off them during my pregnancy. Note to readers...your dentist will hate you for acts such as this. Sugar plus acid equals very bad combination for your enamel.

Sniff, then there was sniff, this. My Aunt Elli painted one for each of my siblings and I. I was a great big like 1 year old. Finding this made me think of her and how much she is missed. Such an awesome being and so talented.
Then, haha, I found these.
That diary is old. I mean OLD. From the early 80's. My my. And that little (aka BIG) baby resembling Popeye--with his winking eye is my oldest baby. At a whopping 1o pounds 13 ounces that baby resembled a Sumo wrestler!

Ah, "my sister's keys". Here's the funny part though. These keys are the keys to my older sister's apartment. An apartment she lived in like TWENTY PLUS YEARS AGO!!! These I think I can get rid of.
Okay, this picture has absolutely nothing to do with the post but the future pilot came by and swiped the camera. This is HIS doing. Honest.
Speaking of the future pilot can you believe I found THESE in the box? The future pilot was THRILLED and ran off with them immediately after I took this picture to show his daddy. I might have to wear them tomorrow.
I also found two of these, that were still in an envelope, that indicated I had sent away from them in 1983. My oh my. Anyway, I think the future pilot will enjoy them for about 5 minutes.
I found this prayer rock someone made for me years ago. I seriously think I need to place in on my pillow. God gets far less of my time than He deserves.
My last pull from the box was this Promises book. I lined up my thumb like that because I've seen that done in detective movies and always wanted to do that. Just like the prayer rock I think I need to open this a time or two.
Just so you know I DID throw a few things away. This is going to be hard though. Anyone want to volunteer to come purge for me? I'm sure if I don't ever SEE what you throw away I won't remember and become attached again. Anyone out there have a method that helps them rid their lives of these types of accumulations? I need serious help here. I might even be contemplating my first contest over this. Hmm...a contest. That would be a great way to start out the new year wouldn't it?

1 comment:

nancygrayce said...

This is my first visit to your blog. Just so you know, getting rid of stuff is very hard! :)