Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sprucin' Up

The sun shone today. It was magnificent. It has been raining for days here. A day of rain here and there isn't too bad but I think after a while the lack of natural Vitamin D tends to make a body feel run down and tired.

I didn't really spend a lot of time out of doors. From the house to the car. From the car to a building and then to the car again. But not having to dodge rain drops was wonderful--not to mention bliss for my hair, which has been a frizzy mess.

Yesterday, I was in my cleaning mode. I emptied our coat closet. I kid you not I have not done that even once since we moved into this house over eight years ago. I found partial bags of teeny tiny diapers and swimmies. A nightgown sized much too large for me that I meant to return. I placed that order back in the fall of '01. My my.

I didn't feel so much like cleaning today so I didn't. There was church and then a few errands with the kids. I didn't make a list and the haircut visit tapped my energy level so after that was over I picked up a few groceries and we went home. I'm not sure if it's the upcoming holiday or just that there were so many days of rain which left me restless but I have a surge of ideas that has hit and I'm excited. Which is a very good thing.

"The Law" has been wanting to move us eight hours away from where we are now. To another state that neither of us has ever lived in. At the time he mentioned it I had a job I hated. I had this idea that if we moved I wouldn't have to work. I also have gotten pretty close to some of his relatives. They are sweet sweet people. A few bad turns on property deals and the fact that I have transferred to a job that leaves me feeling accomplished pretty much on a daily basis has caused me to think maybe I don't want to go.

When we planned this house and moved in I was certain we'd live her until our children booted us into assisted living facilities. I thought I'd sit on our front porch and rock as traffic rolled by. Then the house started falling apart. Leaks, peeling paint, rotting wood, etc. It kind of left a bad taste in our mouths. Like we needed to start over. So that also made it easier to think moving was a nice viable option.

And now we are in a recession. I look around and we are safe. For now we have jobs. Food is on the table without worry. Our vehicles run and we aren't concerned about being stranded. Oh don't get me wrong I coveted a new van. A shiny new one that didn't have french fry encrusted carpets or the aroma of a 3 year old white mocha. And then it hit me that my van runs fine. That I don't know what the future holds. And that it's time to start taking better care of the things God has blessed me with.

So instead of living like this house isn't going to be our's forever I'm going to live like it is. And maybe just maybe we will.

2 comments:

Just A Girl said...

Oh, how I struggle with discontent. So glad to read that you are conquering it somewhat. Good encouragement to me. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a beautiful post!! So well written and so true. It reminds me of why your 'thankful Thursday' ritual is so important. We need to remind ourselves every day of the blessings we are given that we don't always notice ... but they are there, given by a very generous God!