Thursday, November 20, 2008

He Mends Us.

Ever since I was a little girl I have had a soft spot for frogs and butterflies. When me and my brothers and sisters were young we had a record that had this song on it called Bullfrogs and Butterflies by Barry McGuire. It talks about how both have grown and been reborn. It kind of stuck with me. If a frog or toad should dart in front of my vehicle in the rain--yes, I dodge them. If a butterfly drifts into my path and feels the brute force of my car I feel a small tug at my heart.

Yesterday I heard a story on the radio. It seems a woman in New York found a damaged Monarch butterfly with a broken wing. Some would have passed that small wounded creature by without a thought. But not her. She took the butterfly home and splinted it's wing. She went a step further and helped this still flightless creature hitch a ride to Florida to start it's journey to Mexico. You can read the story here.

I loved this story. Mostly because it reminds me of how God does this with us. Picks us up when we are too tired to continue on. Mends us when we are broken. How He takes the time to care for us when to Him we are so small. And when to some we are not worth the effort He sees our potential and believes in us enough to move us forward.

2 comments:

Just A Girl said...

Wow! I can't imagine having enough time to give a butterfly a ride. Human beings are pretty weird and extraordinary aren't we? No wonder God wants to take care of us. We're made in His image after all. Neat post.

ISO (In search of) said...

I can't either but it sure did sound cool. I can't imagine a big burly trucker doing that. I wonder if they talked along the way. :)