Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Home again home again jiggity jig...

or so I had hoped. Today was one of those days that if I had to do over again I'd try to plan better. To me that's comical too because I planned it as best as I could. It was supposed to go like this.

1. Get to work at 6am.
2. Go to boot camp at 330pm
3. Stop at Chik Fil A around 530pm because I know I will be starving and I just crave their chicken strips and oh I can have just 3 for dinner and not have fries. I can be strong.
4. Go vote 6ish
5. Go home and spell my hubby so he can get ready for work--hopefully by 7pm

This is how the day really went...

1. Got to work at 615--not bad actually
2. Started logging off my computer to go get dressed for boot camp. Phone rings. It's my favorite first born son. He wants to know where is the best place to go vote. ??? Ok. Stop. This IS his first time voting. I have to stay calm and realize that. Of course its 315 and if I'm not "on deck" at 330pm other people suffer. Because boot camp is tough like that. I don't like to be responsible for other people's pain.

3. Calmy asked a co-worker how to find that out and when we weren't able to help him I told him to call Grandpa because he has his finger on everything and HE will KNOW. That's his job.
4. Went to boot camp--327pm--don't ask me how. I think it was the mom powers (almost too sore to type mind you)
5. Skipped Chik Fil A because actually I'm feeling pumped and I'm sure I can zip in and out of the polls and be home to have the delicious chicken barbecue I've been simmering in the crock all day
6. Voted--527pm
7. Got accosted by a tiny girl scout--that just happened to be in my daughter's troop and hit up for girl scout cookies.

(this is where things go strangely off course)

You see my girl's troop was supposed to be at a different location. I didn't sign up to help with this one because my schedule was screwy as it was and I was assured I'd be waiting hours in line to vote if I went at the time I did. I was in and out in five minutes and I seriously am not kidding you.

So, I chuckle and call the girl by name and say, "Hey, I know you. I'm (my girl's) mom!" She starts looking at me like, "Really? Hmmm." Oh now see this was another part I left out. I totally could understand how she didn't understand. Like I said it was boot camp day. I looked, well, I looked like I was praying hard to God that I would not see a soul I knew. I didn't smell so good either.

I walked over and although sales had been great those poor tired girls and the troop leader had been there, in the chilly damp air since noon. I felt terrible. That is when my "Just can't say no" guilt-ridden conscious kicked and my mouth opened up and said I'd stick around if they needed help.

I'm all for helping but I felt just a bit guilty about calling home to "ask permission". I was sure I'd get the slightly miffed side of my husband. I waited for about an hour before calling. Thinking surely I can "pretend" it took me all this time to vote but I'm not a good liar or story maker upper. So I called. He wasn't happy but I helped and I feel better about it. I have to say though I don't recommend a smelly--just left the gym--too sweaty for her shirt mom as a cookie sales person. I kept testing the air to make sure I stayed downwind.

830 Home in time to get a shower, thank you hunny bunch for letting me do that before settling down with the kids.

The most important thing I did today was this....

I hope you had the opportunity to do that as well. We live in America and we have choices. Regardless of who wins tonight (I'm praying it's the one God would have picked) we still have this privilege and for that I'm thankful.

1 comment:

lilsis said...

I'm glad you voted. The morning after, I can only say, "It is what it is."

Regardless of how I feel about the outcome of these elections, my hope is that people will start taking some personal responsibility. That is the only thing that will fix these problems that have been a long time coming.