Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Day After Boo

As a kid I looked forward to Halloween and it's promise of endless candy. It also seemed as if we were allowed to stay up just a wee later so we could hit all of the houses of folks we knew. I remember beaming when they complimented us on our costumes--even the years when they were less than creative.

When I had my oldest I made the decision not to celebrate "Halloween" but the Harvest. I had my reasons. One of them being the knowledge of some "sacrificed cats" in my friend's neighborhood the year before. It was then that I realized that this day is, to some, a bit more evil. It took me a long time to get over that. I don't know why. Unfortunately it's a fact of life. There are two sides to everything--sometimes more but really just two.

Over the years I have relaxed a bit about this. After I got married and my daughter was born my husband was more excited about dressing her up than anyone I knew. He wanted to take her around and show her off. For the first few years we did Harvest parties. We don't live in a neighborhood so to speak. There are wide spaces between us. Enough that we don't really know them. Well, unless you count my mama and papa. They live right behind us. Blessings I tell ya. Blessings!

Last year we started taking the kids to my husband's mom's neighborhood. He had grown up there and still knows most everyone that lives there so it was a place we could be comfortable with. Our kids only hit about ten houses total and that was plenty for them. We had a blast.

Our first stop was my parents' house.

Ringing the bell...
Playing with Grandpa...
Notice my mom's candy basket. You have to understand the care she takes in everything she does. My kids were her ONLY trick-or-treater's and yet the basket was still adorned with a nice linen towel. Just for show.

Well shiver me timbers it's a Pirate!!!
Restless children and a headless husband...
Once home again the daughter curled up on the couch to watch the "Munsters" marathon. The pilot's favorite word became "No" so instead of snuggling up with my daughter I was off to bed with the grouchy pilot. Not all bad I tell ya. I was tired! I hope the night was safe for all of you.

1 comment:

Just A Girl said...

We just got basic cable last week. I walked in to the den Friday and they were watching The Munsters! They were enthralled by this show. It cracked me up. Then I remembered, oh yeah, I used to watch this show everyday after school. The more things change, the more they stay the same.